Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Coming Back from Dengue Fever




 Last October I came down with Dengue Fever after getting infected by a nasty mosquito. My full on condition lasted close to 3 weeks. Funny thing is after reading about the messy pest caused disease, I had the impression I would be fully recovered. Well, here we are in March and I still have lower back pain that seemed to hit me during the fever and never left. Now I have my good days and bad and I do corrective training for lumbar, pelvic and hip area, but this nagging problem should not be a nagging problem. I have been rehabing and assessing so long I think I'm falling into the over analysis category. I'm sure I'm beginning to feel "phantom" symptoms of  different musculoskeletal syndromes. There is a point for us training types where we just do the training and try not to over emphasize total safety. Fair to say I am THERE!

 Well, time is too short to keep with the rehab work alone. I'm looking to score big before my 37th birthday this August. I want to deadlift 500lb raw before mid August. My last goal was reached a few years back. I lifted 405 lb. Learned a lot about customizing my own periodization. This time there is a new challenge. I can't aggravate the lower back. Lumbar flexion and rotation during the flexion are movements I need to avoid like it was Crossfit. Here's a run down of my current stats and basic early program:

6'3"
211 lb
13.5 -14.5% BF

 I found out I am stronger at night. I also need to double up my rehab/prehab/maintenance work and I can handle this a few hours before training. I deadlift better using the "navel in" or bracing idea. Also Jim Wendler has a strong point with is training method and tend to use something along the lines of this.



Day1
Afternoon:
SMR therapy
Stretching and Technical drill

Evening:
BB Deads 3x5 (70% of 405lb)

Day2

Afternoon:
SMR therapy

Day3
Afternoon:
SMR therapy
Stretching and Technical drill


Evening:
BB Bench 3x5 (70% of 335lb)
BB 1leg squats 3x5 each side

Day4

Afternoon:
SMR therapy


Day5
Afternoon:
SMR therapy
Stretching and Technical drill


Evening:
BB Hang Clean 3x5 (keep it at 135lb)

Day6
Afternoon:
SMR therapy
Stretching and Technical drill


Evening:
Rim Jumps
Wall Presses

 Like I stated I like Jim Wendlers method. I also have been looking into "old school" intensity and accumulation programming. I will definitely need a short break from the intensity training to work on any trouble and do what I can to prevent any unforeseen problems that could be caused by mobility issues and muscle shortness. Each completed macrocycle I will take a four day break from all training and add a set for the following cycle. Microcycles in the intensity portion I will keep below 95% of max rep. Jim Wendler's use of this protocol is how I will go for the weekly changes
Week 1 - 3x5, Week 2 3x3, and Week 3 3x5,3,1 (and then add a set the next cycle with a maximum of 5 sets).

 Milestones for the deadlift goal is to reach 465lb as near max by June. Then have 500lb max by August. Plans will probably alter a bit as I play around with this, but I think this is a sure thing. Generally it would probably take closer to a year but I figure 6 months will be a good challenge.








No comments: