Thursday, July 19, 2012

Dilemma with 500lb Deadlift





 Seems as though I will not meet my goal in August of lifting 500lb. A few issues with my body have surfaced and some new ones have been added just for the fun of it (hooray!). I have been doing a lot of research work for clients and myself the past few months. My research is more geared to in depth joint assessment. I think it would have taken only a month to complete the research if I was still in practice of using anatomy/kinetic terminology. Really interesting how quickly I lost the knowledge of the vocabulary because I use more "layman" terms. Anyway, shortened  left hip extensors, adductors and dorsiflexors seem to be the main trouble. However, from these crucial impaired motions I now have lower right hip flexion, weakened left abductors, and suspected weakened right psoas (high hip flexor). Now, I did not just research the text books. I became a dedicated groupie of these smarty-smart-smarts:
- Tom Myers
- Shirley Sahrmann
- Stuart McGill
- Mike Robertson
- Eric Cressey
- Mike Boyle
- Gray Cook

 I highly recommend checking out these smart giants in the industry. Through them and the basic text book research I have really gained a strong grasp on joint and movement assessing and rehabilitation. Just a few a month back I felt a big difference in my training and daily life from applying my research. I was so impressed I decided to take up mountain biking just for the fun of it. This is where my wonderful surprise came to life. After a few weeks of biking around, I woke up thinking I was ready for some serious "number-moving" training. Well, that was not going to happen. I found myself walking around like I was pretty as Justin Bieber and I accidentally found myself in a maximal security prison shower... and I just could not stop that slippery soap from dropping. Ya, I was hurting. Took me a few days of more biking to figure out I was putting my lumbar spine in a constant BAD posture of spinal flexion. I was also keeping my hip extensors from being involved. Also overcharging the already tight hip flexors. The result was a sore lower back and no heavy deadlifting. What a damn shame.

 This brings us up to the present moment. I am pushing the goal into late September and early October. I HATE rehab type training, but I disciplined enough to know I need it to reach my goal and possibly go beyond. So, first thing is four days off of the gym. I usually do this as a default recovery period for getting all systems rested and ready to perform at the highest level possible. I still do active drills in the late morning hours but nothing much more than usual daily life.

 Looking forward to a fast recovery and getting back to the fun stuff soon.

No comments: