Friday, March 20, 2009

When to be Linear and when to be Undulated

I am writing this really for those like me. I am an ex athlete with multiple nagging old injuries and now someone who is a bit higher on the fitness chain than an enthusiasts. My days of competition are done and over with. However, I still use smart training principles.

Being a person of my position I choose to phase in and out of different modes of strength training (maximal, hypertrophy, adaptation, power etc). Also I like to play with different modes of energy system work (alactic, lactic, aerobic etc.). But since I no longer have a game day or competitive time period to build for, I find myself just doing it to learn and "see what happens". These days I'm learning some patterns of movement from Parkour and Capoeira. Both very interesting and both can equally leave a person with injuries. These two will suffice until I get bored and move onto another endeavor.

Now motivation is tough and therefore I go through a lot of variation with training. My goals are basically the same. Look good naked and enhance power and strength whenever possible. Now through research we know that undulated training is most likely superior for getting rapid results and being able to maintain these results longest. Trouble with undulating and learning different areas of strength and conditioning is it does not seem to leave much room for error. To be more specific here, when I was hardcore into building a strong snatch lift, I really needed time to get the technical skills down and build up explosive reactive power for the catch portion of the lift. I did try to undulate a bit and found trying to go maximal then quickly change to a higher rep, in a matter of days, left me pretty inadequate with the actual technical side. Also, I know not to attempt to undulate a high volume with an Olympic Lift because of the chance of forming bad motor patterns.

So what's a guy to do? Why not go Linear? Whenever I need to learn something and "groove" the necessary pattern there is nothing better than the repeated effort found in a linear periodization. Generally speaking, I would start with higher volume and lower intensity (i.e. 60%RM - 4x12 type of protocol). I would go for about two weeks of simply breaking down the pattern and practicing the skills. Over the next month or so I would gradually build the RM to probably 80-85%, raise the sets and drop the reps. Now, this has already been proven to not be the superior way to get stronger and more explosive, BUT this will allow for the building of motor skill without injury. Now the downside is adaptation to the stressors comes quickly. So the body adapts and progress (in terms of power and strength) will come slower. Keep in mind I am looking for the motor skills and other technical needs at this point.

After I'm done learning what needs to be learned and trying it at higher intensities I am ready to undulate my training. It is here when I can throw in a few sessions of all out maximal strength, a session for power with technical learning and a few sessions for good old hypertrophy. Also my energy system work would undulate as well.

So if you are like myself, maybe you should try a linear approach and then undulate it. Just to give you an example of what I am talking about, here is what I would do to build my snatch lift if I could do it again:

Linear:
2 wks - anatomical adaptation and technical work - energy system - lactic and aerobic
4 wks - hypertrophy (build intensity and lower volume gradually) - energy system work - lactic to alactic
2 wks -(transition to undulated)- one day attempt Snatch lift for submax (80%) - max lift with basic closed chain lifts that enhance hip extension and scapula retraction.

Undulated:
4 weeks
Day1 - Hypertrophy - Day2 - Max lift - Day3 - Technical and Power - Day4 - Hypertrophy - Day5 - Max Lift
Energy System:
Day1 - Lactic/ Aerobic - Day2 - Alactic - Day3 -Alactic - Day4 - Rest - Day5 - Alactic/Lactic

No comments: