Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Super 8



I was put on to this concept sometime ago. I'll give credit to Coach Mike Boyle but I have heard similar ideas from other great coaches.

 Since I have began looking for balance, between my active/fit pro life and my computer ridden freelance artist life, I have found it very difficult to keep things even. Mostly my artist side is still very dominant. Some projects have a high demand and I am forced to give as much time as possible to the work. Well, thanks to the use of "Super 8", I have found a very reasonable way to get much needed strength and conditioning TUT in my day.

 Simple concept and I have changed it a bit to fit my needs. I think with most programs I have a tendency to customize to fit my needs and objective. Just choose 8 different exercises or stretches that help to support ones fitness goals and needs. For me I need drills that counter the sedentary desk position and promote max strength and joint stability. I do the drills just about every hour or two through out the day. I still do training at night for close to an hour as well. The drills shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to get done. I recommend choosing different exercises daily. This does not mean they have to be totally altered. For instance, lunges on one day can be lateral (side to side) lunges the next day. Even slighter changes like a normal pushup one day can be pushups with fingertips facing outward the next day. Another key is not to go anywhere near failure. Save the commando stuff for the gym and yes still need to workout "for real".  I usually stick to lower rep range 5-10 reps per exercise. If stretching is called for hold for about 60-90 seconds.

 So far so good and here is a glimpse of what I am up to today:

 Hourly
1. Chinups (no reason why a person shouldn't have a chinup bar at home) x2-5
2.Elevated toes standing toe touch drill x5
3. 1 leg pistol squat (negative portion only) x5 each side
4. Active chest and arm stetches x10
5. Plank with knee tucks x10
6. Standing lateral leg raise (just like Jane Fonda) x10
7. Bench Dips x10
8. Crab walks x10


 Feeling better already and a big bonus is having the body "ready" to take on the demands of the actual workout later.

No comments: