Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Changing Gears and Update






 In my last post, I went into my hook grip issue. I played with changing the grip a bit and adding cloth to the bar. It works fine but the only issue is my ability to pull near-max weight suffered. So I dropped the idea temporarily and will implement on higher volume training later. In the middle of the week I decided to just go for 425lb (192.8 kg). Earlier that week I was able to pull 405lb at the end of a training session. Well, I didn't get the 425 past my knees. I hit a sticking point and because this was just for "shits and giggles" I didn't try to get the bar further. Just was not worth it.  So, I'm sticking with traditional hook grip.

 Also, feeling pretty rough in my joints. Getting untimely issues during my last training session. My best bet is to go through a 4 week AA (anatomical adaptation) sort of training. Use exercise to assess myself and hopefully clear up issues quickly and get back into action with near-maximal weight training.

 My last update is I am experimenting with fasting. I'm very curious about the overall health benefits. I have already done one 24 hour period of fasting with just coffee and water. No major issues. I expected to have less energy and that did happen. I freaked out a bit at night. My body is used to getting well fed at night. I just had to get passed this block. It turned out to be more mental than anything. Today I am on a fast again. Same criteria in play. I'm just going with coffee and water. I started at midnight and will push this fast to early morning. So this will be around a 30-32 hour fast. I'm not tracking body weight changes because I don't really care about that. I want to see if this is personally something I can benefit from for overall health WHILE still maintaining a intense strength and conditioning program.
  I have read through Brad Pilon's Eat Stop Eat for help on fasting. I like his down to earth approach without getting too "mystical" with the whole thing. So, for now I will follow the protocol he has layed out. I do recommend it for others who are curious about fasting and just want to give it a "real" try. However, the book has a plenty of pages and the valuable information in it could literally be placed in one or two paragraphs. So, if you do buy it prepare yourself for a lot of "blah-blah... yah-yah....get to the fucking point already!" reading.

 One last note, after a long time of searching I have returned to the first forum I kept a journal in for fitness. Good bunch of guys and gals from different walks of life and different goals. You can check out my progress with training here at fitness.com and I do recommend for those interested in keeping an online journal.

No comments: