Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Whats Up with Compression Athletic Wear?




 I have been playing with the idea of using compression sleeves more frequently as a method for better recovery (over ice therapy). So far I have not noticed much difference in the recovery of compression versus ice. I have used both without a rigid time frame and only after a training session.

 Here's what I researched so far. According to Runner's World compression sleeves for the duration of running are more hype. I can go with that. But I really don't care about long distance running stuff.

 According to International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance, compression sleeves have mild to moderate benefit to post exercise application.

 Also, British Journal of Sports Medicine backs this up. Wearing compression gear before and during a relatively intense (meaning heavy weight or high explosive exertion is used) did not seems to do much physically but did a bit psychologically. I would assume this is the same as wearing a cheaper weightlifting belt (more mental than actual back saving). The benefits seems to be with post exercise use.  This study comes with a full article giving details of the brands used, exercises implemented, and environmental changes. If you are all geeky about studies like me, you can see the full article here. An interesting variable is wearing  the compression gear 24-48 hours after training. This is a bit overboard for a more recreational lifter like myself.

 Sooooo, I will try to increase the use of time to 1-2 hours post training, for awhile. My sleeves are for elbow and knee. I have a compression shirt that I will wear when I am motivated to wear a compression shirt for an hour after training. I will keep my progress posted and update on how I "feel" after use. I'm not in a lab and not using specific algorithms for measuring gym performance. Instead I'll go on overall joint health and my training journal for assessing. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: