Sunday, February 8, 2015

Back to Training At Last

Last Friday I went back into a more or less serious training journey. I have been away and I will use the available excuse here....
  My wife and I are pregnant (her with baby and me with sympathy for her). I let myself go a bit.

Only goals set are gaining healthy joints and tissue, dropping some loveable body fat and defying age related average joe issues. When I say age related I'm meaning the loss of  maximal strength, power and speed and to a lesser extent overall agility. I'm coming up to the big 4-0 and it's sinking in.
  I plan on logging my daily nutrition from time to time but I'm okay with keeping it basic. Strength and conditioning training I will use this basic ideas I developed from few key strength coaches and my own knowledge:

- Self assess what I can and decide what is necessary to train over other stuff. Also keep humble and don't jump into higher level training until I have a good enough assessment to do so.
 
  This is probably the hardest part to stay humble and handle the training safely and correctly and THEN get into more difficult stuff. I already assessed certain exercises and found how bad I have become at executing them. With discipline and a humble attitude I will try to keep my training aimed at proper progression.

- Conditioning over strengthening until I have the ability to reverse it. 

  This just emphasizes my first point. I have to "qualify" myself to be able to move on passed just the conditioning level to get to the "fun stuff". Now, this is very specific to every movement pattern (exercise). For instance, I have a great deadlift and barbell bent over row, so I can go right into moving numbers on this front. I have issues with  barbell back squats and barbell lunges, so I will have to regress to conditioning only until my assessment shows I can progress.

- Short training periods of less analysis and more of... don't be such a pussy and just do it.....training.

 I am very analytical with strength and conditioning programming. Sometimes I have caught myself paralyzing my training with analyzing. I would much rather be safe than sorry, but over the years I have realized it is good to just do it or at least just try it. So, I will choose an area that I can train without analyzing and just go at it. Most likely it will be aerobic since aerobic activities allow less time for too much conscious control and a more subconscious act.

  And here is the starting point. I'm joining the training garage club. Will need a bit of creativity to get what I need out of the current equipment and I'll add on in time.


No comments: